Thursday, May 9, 2013

SPRING CLEANING; SELF IMPROVEMENT

With spring in the air we may find ourselves sprucing up our environment and even ourselves. Self improvement conj ours up images of diets, lists, meditation, depending on with whom you speak. The phrase alone can make one cringe. With that said, take a deep breath and look at it in a different light. Put a fresh twist on the idea.

Let's face it, we all have our flaws, our quirks, and shortcomings. If we take some time and add a spark or imagination, these things can be seen as simple impurities. Like our spring cleaning in our environment, apply a little elbow grease to ourselves and voila, new prospective. What should be focused on within ourselves is pinpointing those impurities that lead to the behaviors, acts, and thoughts that cause us to fall short of our full potential.

Helping others is a great way to help yourself as well as well as those you help. An opportunity to learn, as well as teach. Studies have shown that volunteering can play a role in increasing your overall sense of well-being, alleviating chronic pain, and even reducing depression. A report by the Corporation for National and Community Service states that people who volunteer have greater longevity, higher functional ability, lower rates of depression, and less incidence of heart disease. A review of current research also suggests that volunteering is especially beneficial to older adults and those who serve 100 volunteer hours a year.

Always remember to be who you are. As much as I want to get more done in a day, or be Betty Crocker, fish like a pro, participate in the Tour De France, simply put, I won't. I am fine with that. I am who I am, I do what I can, and always push myself to improve in some way. I know I have my impurities, I know sometimes I fall short, don't meet expectations at times. However, I am only human! I am comfortable with myself and I enjoy my life. Remember to let others be who they are as well.

If you find yourself in need of more assistance let us know and we can help. There are many resources to help guide you. We can help you locate those resources and get you started if need be. We are here to help one another grow, learn, and live.



No comments:

Post a Comment